Thursday, August 24, 2006

Condiment Selection

24 August 2006-
Clown Alley: 42 Columbus Avenue in San Francisco
Cost: $6.30 (bacon cheeseburger, fries extra)

Image Source: blogger's own

Once again, gotta give props to my coworkers for recommending another lunch burger outing, this time to Clown Alley in the North Beach / Financial District. The joint used to be within a two block radius from our old office, now the trek was approximately one mile from the new office location.

In any case, Clown Alley has a very efficient lunch service, where burgers are served in literally seconds after you place your order. Clown Alley serves high-flamed broiled burgers at a consistent medium, which is quite juicy and flavorful nonetheless. Today, I ordered the bacon cheeseburger with a side of fries.

Verdict: Just for the record, Clown Alley happens to be a coworker's (fellow burger enthusiast's) favorite burger joint in San Francisco. Who can blame this individual?; flame broiled juicy patties, toasted sesame buns, loads of crunchy fixings, not to mention a container teeming with bacon, and a full condiments bar. I admit, I love the burger at Clown Alley.

But I just have to go on record to contend that I have some issues with the condiment bar. The condiments: mayo, mustard, ketchup, relish, pickles, thousand island and ranch, etc. are stored in containers which are at least a foot deep. I assume the containers are floating on a bed of ice in order to be chilled. During prime-time (lunch hours), when the condiments are being used, the consistency is good. However, on off-hours, such as dinner time or on weekends, you might be able to detect a film on the surface of these containers. I also doubt that the condiments are replaced everyday. I would opt to suggest that new condiments are continuously mixed in with the old. I would also suspect that water is added throughout the day, in order to compensate for evaporation.

1 comment:

C-nuh said...

I am glad you have "come to Jesus" about CA. Although I have not experienced the stale condiments, That experience would be pretty nasty.