Friday, July 14, 2006

Oscar, Osky-Boy!

14 July 2006-
Oscar's: 1890 Shattuck Avenue at Hearst Street in Berkeley
Cost: $4.65 (bacon cheeseburger, fries extra)

Image Source: blogger's own

Oscar's was recently brought to my attention, although I've been totally aware of its presence for several years now. The flame grill exhaust at Oscar's must have been "grand-fathered" into Berkeley's city codes since the 'fifties. On sunny weekend afternoons in particular, that area of Shattuck Avenue is completely obfuscated with burger smoke. I'm not complaining though.

I'm glad I tried Oscar's, because now I will definitely be debating whether my next thin patty stop in Berkeley will be at Smokehouse or Oscar's. As mentioned, Oscar's serves up a 1/4 lb. patty on a toasted bun and loads of (crunchy and fresh) fixings. What I really enjoyed about this particular burger was it was served pretty rare, even though there was no grilling preference option. In this case, the burger was much better than the fries. There's even a drive-thru.

No comments: