Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Cool Sauce Holder

6 November 2007-
Custom Burger: 121 Seventh Street in San Francisco
Cost: $10.00 (angus bacon cheeseburger, fries extra)

Image Source: blogger's own

San Francisco is quite fortunate to have Morphosis (Pritzker Prize Award Winning Architecture Firm) design the new Federal Building. On a recent field trip to the area, I was surprised to see that the area, which I've previously referred to as "Crack Alley" is on the up and up. Hey, there's even this new burger joint right across the street called, "Custom Burger". When I noticed the good design sense and concept of this restaurant, as well as the location, I knew I had to make an effort to survey this burger establishment.

The next night, I brought my hunger with me, and hopped into the diner, to discover a full menu of 'customizable' burger options, including a choice of a '1/3 lb. Angus' patty or 'American Kobe Beef' - 'Lamb' or even 'Salmon'. As one can imagine, there's almost every type of cheese available and a range of fixings on par to some of the most creative salad bars. They even offer about a dozen mayos! However, each additional 'fixin'' above the standard is going to cost you. I think one of the marketing strategies of this business is to lure other burger enthusiasts back for more samplings, because it seems unimaginable to sample the full range of customizations from a single visit.

Verdict: I liked the presentation, in specific, there's this really nice condiment sauce holder integrated into the wire molded tray (see picture above). My immediate impression was that this tasted very similar to the Bistro Burger on Mission Street. Although, this is "Angus" and Bistro claims "Niman Ranch" the lean, daily massaged beef meat was not fatty enough for me. There was no taste, or it didn't quite reflect the qualities that I aspire a good a burger to be.

No comments: