Friday, February 02, 2007

Crowded Lunch

2 February 2007-
Burger Gourmet: 351 19th Street in Oakland
Cost: $5.99 (bacon cheeseburger, fries extra)

Image Source: blogger's own

Burger Gourmet in the Lake Merritt section of downtown Oakland is only open during the weekdays for breakfast and lunch. Although I've lived in the neighborhood for a couple of years, I've only eaten here once before. On my last Friday off from work, I decided to check it out again. It was lunch time, and the streets in downtown Oakland were bustling with the downtown Oakland work crowd that I rarely have the opportunity to see. Burger Gourmet was brimming with your typical nine to fivers, but they all seemed dressed down in their casual Friday uniforms eager for some burger action. I moseyed up to the counter and ordered their bacon cheeseburger with brie and specified "medium-rare" as the grilling preference. The place was packed, but I managed to grab an empty table at the back.

Verdict: Burger Gourmet serves a variety of different burger variations on their menu. It's one of those no-frills diners where your food is served fast and fresh at a reasonable price. I definitely enjoy brie on the burger; the bacon was crispy and the fixing fresh and wholesome. I also enjoyed the fries which were hot and crispy. It's a shame it's only open during the weekdays - specially serving the downtown Oakland lunch crowd.

No comments: