Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Where's the Beef?

6 February 2007-
Flipper's: 2060 Mountain Boulevard in Montclair
Cost: $8.75 (bacon cheeseburger, fries included)

Image Source: blogger's own

I recently noticed this "Flipper's" in Montclair Village and thought I'd survey it. I had the suspicion that the name and logo of the sign was the same as the location in Hayes Valley (see 11 July 2006 survey), but I just dismissed it as a coincidence. It wasn't until I was seated and noticed a distinct similarity in the menu descriptions, when I connected the two chains. Consequently, I had a conversation with the Montclair Flipper's owner and discovered that the two locations used to be owned by the same person, until recently. The new owner kept the name and the menu, except he claims, his meat is better quality now.

As I mentioned before, a plain old bacon cheeseburger was not an option on the menu, so I ordered the bacon cheeseburger with avocado, but told them to hold the avocado. I chose "medium-rare" as the grilling preference.

Verdict: In contrast to the previous "Big Flipper" (at the Hayes Valley location) which was a 1/2 lb. patty, the standard patty is only 1/3 lb. It was late, and I thought that I'd be okay with the smaller patty. The patty that was served seemed disproportionate to the bun. Also, the bun was hardly toasted and soft. There was way too much bun relative to burger patty, and it was soft and squishy to hold. The experience was like eating a McDonald's cheeseburger where the patty taste gets overwhelmed by the bun. The fries were limp too.

No comments: