Friday, December 08, 2006

Smells like Elephant

8 December 2006-
Quinn's Lighthouse: 1951 Embarcadero in Oakland
http://www.quinnslighthouse.com/
Cost: $12.00 (niman ranch bacon cheeseburger, fries included)

Image Source: blogger's own (sorry a little blurry, still learning how to use my new camera)

Admittedly, I may have been a little under dressed for the "dining room" at Quinn's Lighthouse. I was told it was reserved for a private party. I was redirected upstairs to the "pub" where I was assured, the menu was exactly the same. The upstairs was a stark contrast to the frilly, upscale decor of the "dining room" downstairs. It literally "smelled like elephant", with at least a full days of peanut shells, thrown on the ground. Plus, there were drunks hanging off the wall. Well, I wasn't completely drunk yet, so these were my first impressions.

The place was pretty packed, and I ended up scoring a table that they brought inside from the rain. My plastic patio chair was still wet, however. Despite all this, I was trying to stay focused on the Niman Ranch burger I was here to survey.

Quinn's Lighthouse boasts a very significant menu which includes a variety of steaks and seafood options to pasta and salads. Also, they've got the largest selection of beer that I am aware of in the East Bay. There's eight on tap on nitro and some fifty-plus others in bottles. I was tempted to order a steak or some seafood, but I ordered Quinn's "Big Niman Ranch burger - smothered with sauteed onions"; a sizable 10 ounce patty with bacon and swiss; I chose "medium-rare" as the grilling preference.

Verdict: The burger smelled a delicious flame broiled aroma. The mayonnaise I requested, however came in packets. The first bite was pretty tasty, but the patty was a little too dry for my liking. The bun crust was also quite flaky, and due to the lack of toastiness, contributed to the eventual disassemblage of the burger midway through the meal. Don't know if I recommend the burger, but it might be a nice bar to check out at the Oakland Marina when the weather's nice.

No comments: